MONITORING WATER QUALITY
Effective inventory, monitoring and assessment requires planning that identifies why monitoring is to be undertaken, what will be monitored, where monitoring will occur, who will monitor, how long and how frequently monitoring will occur. A statement of measurable project objectives will improve project planning and improve the chances for an effective monitoring project.
Rancher, range manager or citizen group monitoring objectives may include one or more of the following: document normal conditions, document abnormal (catastrophic) events, confirm agency assessments, investigate perceived problems, document your good management, and document the effectiveness of new practices.
Monitor pollution sources or monitor the water column.
General Monitoring and Planning
- Tate, K.W., R.A. Dahlgren, M.J. Singer, B. Allen-Diaz and E.R. Atwill. 1999. Monitoring Water Quality on California Rangeland Watersheds: Timing is Everything. California Agriculture. 53:44-48.
- Monitoring Practice Effectiveness: What, Where, and How, Fact Sheet 4
- Type of Monitoring, Fact Sheet 1
- Monitoring With Ranch Records, Fact Sheet 2
- Nonpoint Source Pollution Monitoring, Fact Sheet 3
RDM and Stubble Height Monitoring Publications
Riparian Monitoring Publications
- Ward, T.A., K.W. Tate, and E.R. Atwill. 2003. Visual Assessment of Riparian Health. ANR Publ. No. 8089. Div. of Agric. And Nat. Res., Univ. of Calif., Oakland, Calif. 23 pgs. http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/8089.pdf
- Ward, T.A., K.W. Tate, and E.R. Atwill. 2003. Guidelines for Monitoring the Establishment of Riparian Grazing Systems. ANR Publ. No. 8094. Div. of Agric. And Nat. Res., Univ. of Calif., Oakland, Calif. 37 pgs. http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/8094.pdf
- Ward, T.A., K.W. Tate, E.R. Atwill, D.F. Lile, D.L. Lancaster, N.K. McDougald, S. Barry, R.S. Ingram, H.A. George, W.J. Jensen, W.E. Frost, R. Phillips, G.G. Markegard, S. Larson. 2003. A Comparison of Three Visual Assessments for Riparian and Stream Health. J. Soil and Water Conservation. 58:83-88
- Allen-Diaz, B, RD Jackson, JW Bartolome, KW Tate, and LG Oates. 2004. Long-term grazing study in spring-fed wetlands reveals management tradeoffs. California Agriculture 58:144-148.
Sediment Monitoring Publications
Stream Temperature Monitoring Publications
- Tate, Kenneth W., David F. Lile, Donald L. Lancaster, Marni L. Porath, Julie A. Morrison and Yukako Sado. 2005. Graphical analysis facilitates evaluation of stream-temperature monitoring data. Calif. Agric. 59:153-160.
- Tate, Kenneth W., David F. Lile, Donald L. Lancaster, Marni L. Porath, Julie A. Morrison and Yukako Sado. 2005. Statistical analysis of monitoring data aids in prediction of stream temperature. Calif. Agric. 59:161-167.
Whole Farm Monitoring
Monitoring Nutrients and Pathogens
Monitoring Stream Flow